Central government presumably very confused over COVID-19 vaccine

Hyderabad: The Union Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) on Sunday claimed initially that a vaccine for COVID-19 is unlikely to be ready for mass use by 2021. However, the ministry quickly backtracked from this claim, which is in contrast to the assertion of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) that it’s fast-tracked trials of a vaccine candidate Covaxin, in order that it are often ready by Assumption .

In the earliest version of the handout issued by MoST through the Press Information Bureau (PIB), Dr T.V. Venkateswaran, a scientist at Vigyan Prasar, said: “None of those vaccines is unlikely (sic) to be ready for mass use before 2021.”

Later within the day, however, this line was deleted. there have been no notes of update on PIB’s website to point that the statement had been edited.

It is unclear on why this line was deleted. Careful reading shows that the first statement used a double-negative — it used ‘none’ and ‘unlikely’ within the same sentence, conveying a confusing meaning.

Dr Venkateswaran had emphasised the importance of Indian manufacturers within the effort to develop and produce vaccines. He acknowledged that there are quite 140 candidate vaccines in various states of development across the planet . Two of the 11 candidates that have entered human trials are Indian — Covaxin of Bharat Biotech and ZyCov-D of Zydus Pharma.

“Indian manufacturers account for 60 per cent of vaccine supplies to Unicef. The vaccine for the novel coronavirus could also be developed anywhere within the world. But without Indian manufacturers being involved within the production of required quantities, (the distribution of vaccine) isn’t getting to be feasible,” Dr Venkateswaran said.(Fa9news)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *